Research and Professional Interests
Dr. Kosek is an assistant scientist with the JHU Center for Global Health. Her research objectives are divided into three areas. The first is the epidemiology and impact of enteric infections on child health, which continue to be among the principal cause of illness and death in children living in poverty. She is also interested in the improvement of disease burden estimates in child health and a more balanced approach to research priority setting that is directed towards disease burden reduction. And her final area of research area of interest is malaria epidemiology, specifically the impact of economic influences and land use patterns on malaria in the Peruvian Amazon.
Dr. Kosek is a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. She is on the advisory panel of Brighton Collaboration, as a member of the diarrhea working group to establish definition and severity scale of diarrhea as an adverse effect of vaccine administration. She is also a reviewer for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Clinical Trial Planning and Implementation grants.
Dr. Kosek is a consultant for Child Health & Nutrition Research Initiative (CHNRI), a Bill and Melinda Gates funded project to develop an improved system for priority setting in research related to child health and nutrition as an expert in diarrheal disease. She is also a consultant for the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries and Risk Factors Study as a core member in Enteric Infectious Diseases core group.
Since being awarded a K01 in 2001 Dr. Kosed has built, maintained and staffed a laboratory and field site in Iquitos Peru that has supported multiple cohort studies of childhood illnesses and malaria and a Phase I trial of probiotic L. reuteri which was completed Sept 2010. Current projects include collaborations with other investigators at Johns Hopkins (L. Caulfield, R. Black, R. Gilman, P. Gravitt, K. Schwab), Tulane (R. Oberhelman), Duke (W. Pan) and San Diego (J. Vinetz).
- Lee G, Pan W, Penataro Yori P, Paredes Olortegui M, Tilley H, Gregory M, Oberhelman R, Burga R, Banda Chavez C, Kosek, M. Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Campylobacter Infections Associated with Reduced Growth in Peruvian Children. PLoS Negl Trop Dis, In press.
- Psaki S, Bhutta ZA, Ahmed T, Ahmed S, Bessong P, Islam M, John S, Kosek M, Lima A, Nesamvuni C, Shrestha P, Svensen E, McGrath M, Richard S, Seidman J, Caulfield L, Miller M, Checkley W. Household food access and child malnutrition: Results from the eight country MAL-ED study. Popul Health Metr. 2012 Dec 13;10(1):24. PMID: 23237098.
- Kosek M, Haque R, Lima A, Babji S, Shrestha S, Qureshi S, Amidou S, Mduma E, Lee G, Yori PP, Guerrant RL, Bhutta Z, Mason C, Kang G, Kabir M, Amour C, Bessong P, Turab A, Seidman J, Olortegui MP, Lang D, Gratz J, Miller M, Gottlieb M; for the MAL-ED network. Fecal Markers of Intestinal Inflammation and Permeability Associated with the Subsequent Acquisition of Linear Growth Deficits in Infants. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2012 Nov 26. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:23185075.
- Apaza S, Espetia S, Gilman RH, Montenegro S, Pineda S, Herhold F, Pomari R, Kosek M, Vu N, Saito M. Detection and genotyping of noroviruses from children’s stools by Taqman One-Step RT-PCR. J Vis Exp. 2012 Jul 22;(65). PMID: 22898754.
- Lee G, Peñataro Yori P, Paredes Olortegui M, Pan W, Caulfield LE, Gilman RH, Sanders J, Silva Delgado H, Kosek M. Comparative effects of vivax malaria, fever and diarrhea on child growth. Int J Epi, in press.
- Kosek M, Peñataro Yori P, Gilman R, Vela H, Paredes Olortegui M, Banda Chavez C, Calderon M, Perez Bao J, Hall ER, Maves R, Burga R, Meza Sanchez G. Facilitated molecular typing of Shigella isolates using ERIC-PCR. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2012;86(6):1018-25. PMID: 22665611.
- Kosek M, Penataro Yori P, Gilman R, Calderon M, Jeri C, Pinedo V, Matthias M, Llanos-Cuentas A, Vinetz J. High degree of Plasmodium vivax diversity in the Peruvian Amazon demonstrated by tandem repeat polymorphism analysis. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2012; 86(4):580-6. PMID: 22492139.
- Chuquiyauri R, Paredes M, Penataro P, Torres S, Marin S, Tenorio A, Brouwer KC, Abeles S, Llanos-Cuentas A, Gilman RH, Kosek M, Vinetz JM. Socio-demographics and the development of malaria elimination strategies in the low transmission season. Acta Trop 2011;Epub. PMID:22100446
- Kosek M, Yori PP, Olortegui MP. Shigellosis update: advancing antibiotic resistance, investment empowered vaccine development, and green bananas. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2010; 23(5):475-480. PMID: 20689423.
- Yori PP, Schwab K, Gilman RH, Nappier S, Portocarrero DV, Black RE, Olortegui MP, Hall ER, Moe C, Leon J, Cama VA, Kosek M. Norovirus highly prevalent cause of endemic acute diarrhea in children in the peruvian Amazon. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2009; 28(9):844-847. PMID:19636281.
- Kosek M, Lanata CF, Black RE, Walker DG, Snyder JD, Salam MA, Mahalanabis D, Fontaine O, Bhutta ZA, Bhatnagar S, Rudan I. Directing diarrhoeal disease research towards disease-burden reduction. J Health Popul Nutr 2009; 27(3):319-331. PMID: 19507747.
- Fontaine O, Kosek M, Bhatnagar S, Boschi-Pinto C, Chan KY, Duggan C, Martinez H, Ribeiro H, Rollins NC, Salam MA, Santosham M, Snyder JD, Tsai AC, Vargas B, Rudan I. Setting research priorities to reduce global mortality from childhood diarrhoea by 2015. PLoS Med 2009; 6(3):e41. PMID: 19278292.
- Rudan I, Gibson JL, Ameratunga S, El Arifeen S, Bhutta ZA, Black M, Black RE, Brown KH, Campbell H, Carneiro I, Chan KY, Chandramohan D, Chopra M, Cousens S, Darmstadt GL, Meeks GJ, Hess SY, Hyder AA, Kapiriri L, Kosek M, Lanata CF, Lansang MA, Lawn J, Tomlinson M, Tsai AC, Webster J. Setting priorities in global child health research investments: guidelines for implementation of CHNRI method. Croat Med J 2008; 49(6):720-733. PMID:19090596.
- Asayag CR, Garay CR, Sanchez GM, Angeles CC, Baca CJ, Evans C, Yori PP, Kosek M. Eight year old with fever, hepatomegaly, and positive thick smear. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2008; 79(4):473. PMID: 18840731.
- Kosek M, Yori PP, Pan WK, Olortegui MP, Gilman RH, Perez J, Chavez CB, Sanchez GM, Burga R, Hall E. Epidemiology of highly endemic multiply antibiotic-resistant shigellosis in children in the Peruvian Amazon. Pediatrics 2008; 122(3):e541-e549. PMID: 18710884.
- Ramal Asayag C, Ruiz Garay C, Meza Sanchez G, Carey Angeles C, Jara Baca C, Evans C, Peñataro Yori P, Kosek M. Eight year old with fever, hepatomegaly, and positive thick smear. Am J Trop Med Hyg, in press.
- Matson R, Tong-Rios C, Banda Chavez C, Gilman RH, Florin D, Lopez-Sifuentes V, Cardenas Greffa R, Yori PP, Fernandez R, Velasquez Portocarrero D, Vinetz J, and Kosek M. Improved molecular technique for the differentiation of neotropical anopheline species. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;78(3):492-8.
- Rudan I, Gibson J, Kapiriri L, Lansang MA, Hyder AA, Lawn J, Darmstadt GL, Cousens S, Bhutta ZA, Hess SY, Black M, Gardner JM, Webster J, Carneiro I, Chandramohan D, Kosek M, Lanata CF, Tomlinson M, Chopra M, Ameratunga S, Campbell H, El Arifeen S, Black RE: Child Health and Nutrition research Initiative (CHNRI). Setting priorities in global child health research investments: assessment of principles and practice. Croat Med J 2007;48(5):595-604.
- Bharti AR, Patra KP, Chuquiyauri R, Kosek M, Gilman R, Llanos-Cuentas A, Vinetz JM. Polymerase chain reaction detection of Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium falciparum DNA from stored serum samples: implications for retrospective diagnosis of malaria. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2007;77(3):444-6.
- Verastegui M, Gilman RH, Arana Y, Barber D, Velasquez J, Farfan M., Chile N., Kosek J.C., Kosek M. Garcia H.H. and Gonzalez, A. T. solium oncosphere adhesion to intestinal epithelial and Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) cells in vitro. Infect.Immun 2007;75(11):5158-66.
- Leon-Barua R, Recavarren-Arce S, Chinga-Alayo E, Rodriguez-Ulloa C, Taylor DN, Gotuzzo E, Kosek M, Eza D, and Gilman RH. Helicobacter pylori-associated chronic atrophic gastritis involving the gastric body and severe disease by Vibrio cholerae. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2006; 100(6):567-572.
- Yori PP, Kosek M, Gilman RH, Cordova J, Bern C, Chavez CB et al. Seroepidemiology of strongyloidiasis in the Peruvian Amazon. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2006; 74(1):97-102.
- Finger SA, Velapatino B, Kosek M, Santivanez L, Dailidiene D, Quino W et al. Effectiveness of enterobacterial repetitive intergenic consensus PCR and random amplified polymorphic DNA fingerprinting for Helicobacter pylori strain differentiation. Appl Environ Microbiol 2006; 72(7):4713-4716.
- Bushen OY, Davenport JA, Lima AB, Piscitelli SC, Uzgiris AJ, Silva TM, Leite R, Kosek M, Dillingham RA, Girao A, Lima AA, Guerrant RL. Diarrhea and reduced levels of antiretroviral drugs: improvement with glutamine or alanyl-glutamine in a randomized controlled trial in northeast Brazil. Clin Infect Dis. 2004 Jun 15;38(12):1764-70.
- Kosek M, Bern C, Guerrant RL. The global burden of diarrhoeal disease, as estimated from studies published between 1992 and 2000. Bull World Health Organ. 2003;81(3):197-204.
- Gilman RH, Anderton C, Kosek M, Garcia HH, Evans CA. How many committees does it take to make a project ethical? Lancet. 2002 Sep 28;360(9338):1025-6.
- Guerrant RL, Kosek M, Moore S, Lorntz B, Brantley R, Lima AA. Magnitude and impact of diarrheal diseases. Arch Med Res. 2002 Jul-Aug;33(4):351-5.
- Guerrant RL, Kosek M, Lima AA, Lorntz B, Guyatt HL. Updating the DALYs for diarrhoeal disease. Trends Parasitol. 2002 May;18(5):191-3.
Water and Health
NSF IGERT Participant
diarrheal disease, disease burden, child health, Shigella, dysentery, nutrition, child health, Neotropical Anopholines, malaria, tropical medicine