Research and Professional Interests
Dr. Chanmugam joined the faculty in 1992 and has served in a number of roles including most recently as the residency director for the Hopkins Emergency Medicine Residency Program. He is an editor or associate editor for a number of textbooks including the 6th edition of the textbook Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine.
His primary interest is development both in education and technology. In 1994 he developed and introduced the required clerkship in emergency medicine, making it the first time that Johns Hopkins medical students were required to have exposure to Emergency Medicine. He has been the recipient of multiple teaching awards.
Outside of Hopkins, he is on the Board of Directors for Maryland ACEP. He is an avid outdoor enthusiast and is an instructor in the martial art Aikido.
- Bhargava, Akanksha, Arjun Chanmugam, and Cila Herman. "Heat transfer model for deep tissue injury: a step towards an early thermographic diagnostic capability." Diagnostic pathology 9, no. 1 (2014): 36. http://www.diagnosticpathology.org/content/9/1/36
- Tang, Nelson, Matthew J. Levy, Jeffrey Harrow, and Nina Bingham. "Use of a Hooked Cutting Device Compared With Scissors for the Emergency Exposure of Critically Ill and Injured Patients." Prehospital and disaster medicine 29, no. 01 (2014): 43-46. http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=9167405&fileId=S1049023X13009060
- Lee, Amy SD, Sarah L. Cohen, Jean R. Anderson, Arjun Chanmugam, and Jessica L. Bienstock. "The Effect of Gynecologic Algorithm Pathways on Emergency Department Visit Times." The Journal of emergency medicine 44, no. 1 (2013): 217-224. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S073646791200234X
- Chanmugam, Arjun, Patrick Triplett, and Gabor Kelen, eds. Emergency Psychiatry. [Book] Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Cummins, Deborah L., Jordan M. Cummins, Hardin Pantle, Michael A. Silverman, Aimee L. Leonard, and Arjun Chanmugam. "Cutaneous malignant melanoma." In Mayo clinic proceedings, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 500-507. Elsevier, 2006. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025619611618983
Water and Health
Arjun Chanmugam, emergency medicine