Research and Professional Interests
William Pan, PhD, is an Assistant Professor of Global Environmental Health at the Duke Global Health Institute (DGHI). He holds a joint appointment at DGHI and the Nicholas School of Environment, and is Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of International Health at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Pan’s research interests focuses on Population, Health, and Environmental interactions in developing countries, with particular interest in translational research directed toward sustainable development activities and global environmental health. He has worked in countries throughout Latin America and Africa on topics ranging from land use change, reproductive health, migration, tuberculosis, HIV, enteric infections, and childhood nutrition. Pan received his doctoral training in Biostatistics from UNC-Chapel Hill with a focus on demography and spatial analysis. He also received a Master of Public Health from Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University.
- Pan, WK, C Erlien, RE Bilsborrow “Morbidity and mortality disparities among colonist and indigenous populations in the Ecuadorian Amazon.” Social Science and Medicine, (in-press).
- Zevallos, K, G. Sandhu, K Sacksteder, P Yori, M Kosek, WK Pan, C Banda, B Herrera, T
- Valencia, RH Gilman, C Vidal, G Meza, KC Vergara, HH Garcia, CA Evans. “Human immunity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigens is augmented by deworming” Journal of Infectious Disease (accepted).
- Salmon, DA, PJ Smith, WK Pan, AM Navar, SB Omer, N Halsey. “Disparities in Preschool Immunization Coverage Associated with Maternal Age: United States, 2001-2003” (2009) Human Vaccines, V5(8).
- Villaran, M., SM Montano, G Gonzalvez, LM Moyano, JC Chero, S Rodriguez, AE Gonzalez, WK Pan, VCW Tsang, RH Gilman and H. Garcia (2009) “Epilepsy and Neurocysticercosis: an Incidence Study in a Peruvian Rural Population” Neuroepidemiology, V33: 25-31.
- Vittor, AY, WK Pan, RH Gilman, J Tielsch, G Glass, T Shields, WS Lozano, VV Pinedo, JA Patz. (2009) “Ecological characteristics of Anopheles darlingi breeding habitat in the Amazon.” American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygeine, V81(1): 5-12.
- Walkup, JT, A Barlow, BC Mullany, WK Pan, N Goklish, R Hastings, B Cowboy, P Fields, EV Baker, K Speakman, G Ginsburg, R Reid (2009) “Randomized controlled trial of a paraprofessional-delivered in-home intervention for young reservation-based, American Indian mothers” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, V48 (6): 591-601.
- Salmon, DA, M Sotir, WK Pan, J Davis, SB Omer, J Berg, S Stokley, D Hopfensberger, N Halsey. “Parental Vaccine Refusal in Wisconsin: A Case Control Study” Wisconsin Medical Journal, V108(1): 17-23.
- Escombe, R., D.A.J. Moore, R.H. Gilman, WK Pan, M. Navincopa, E. Ticona, C. Martinez, L. Caviedes, P. Sheen, A. Gonzalez, C.J. Noakes, J.S. Friedland, C. Evans. (2008) “The infectiousness of tuberculosis patients co-infected with HIV.” PLoS Medicine, September 2008, V5(3): e188.
- Oswald, WE, GC Hunter, AG Lescano, L. Cabrera, E Leontsini, WK Pan, V Paz-Soldan, RH Gilman (2008) “Direct observation of hygiene in a Peruvian shantytown: Not enough handwashing and too little water” Tropical Medicine & International Health. V13(11): 1421-8.
- Kosek, M., P Yori, WK Pan, M. Paredes-Olortegui, RH Gilman, J Peres, CB Chavez, GM Sanchez, R Burga, E Hall (2008) “Epidemiology of highly endemic multiply antibiotic resistant Shigellosis in children in the Peruvian Amazon”. Pediatrics, 122(3): e541-549.
- Carr, DL, WK Pan, RE Bilsborrow, C Suchindran, TM Whitmore, F Murtinho (2008) “Un análisis multi-nivel de población y deforestación en El Parque Nacional Sierra de Lacandón, Petén, Guatemala” Documents d’Anàlisi Geogràfica.
- Salmon, DA, WK Pan, SB Omer, AM Navar, W Orenstein, EK Marcuse, J Taylor, MP deHart, S Stokley, T Carter, N Halsey (2008). “Vaccine knowledge and practices of primary care providers of exempt vs. vaccinated children” Human Vaccines, V4 (4).
- Beck, AL., RH Gilman, L Cabrera, WK Pan, V Cama, JS Friedland, J Lewis, MA Gatei, SR Bloom (2008) “Peptide YY: A gut hormone associated with anorexia during infectious diarrhea in children” Journal of Pediatrics, V153(5): 677-82.
- Gavidia, C., AE Gonzalez, W Zhang, DP McManus L Lopera, B Ninaquispe, HH Garcia, S Rodriguez, M Verastegui, C Calderon, WK Pan, RH Gilman (2008) “Study of cystic echinococcosis in nine Peruvian highland communities using four diagnostic methods” Emerging Infectious Diseases, V14(2): 260-266.
- Pan, WK, D.L. Carr, A. Barbieri, RE Bilsborrow, and CM Suchindran (2007) “Forest clearing in the Ecuadorian Amazon: A study of patterns over space and time” Population Research and Policy Review. V26 (5-6): 635-659.
- Carr, D.L. and WK Pan. “Determinants of childbirth on the Ecuadorian Frontier: 1990-1999.” Professional Geographer. In-press.
- Escombe, R., C.C.Oeser, R.H. Gilman, M. Navincopa, C. Martinez, E. Ticona, J. Chacaltana, R. Rodriguez, WK Pan, D.A.J. Moore, J.S. Friedland, C. Evans (2007). “Natural ventilation for the prevention of airborne contagion.” PLoS Medicine, 4(2): e68.
- Carr, D.L., WK Pan, and R.E. Bilsborrow (2006). “Declining Fertility on the Frontier: The Ecuadorian Amazon.” Population and Environment, V28 (1): 17-39.
- S.B. Omer, WK Pan, N.A. Halsey, S. Stokley, L.H. Moulton, A.M Navar, M. Pierce, D.A. Salmon (2006). “Non-medical exemptions to school immunization requirements: Secular trends and association of state policies with Pertussis incidence” Journal of the American Medical Association, V296 (14): 1757-63.
- R.W. Linkins, D.A. Salmon, S.B. Omer, WK Pan, S. Stokley, N.A. Halsey (2006). “Support for immunization registries among parents of vaccinated and unvaccinated school-aged children: A case-control study” BMC Public Health, 6:236.
- Barlow, A., Spearman, K., E. Varipatis-Baker, G. Ginsburg, I. Friberg, N. Goklish, B. Cowboy, P. Fields, R. Hastings, WK Pan, R. Reid, M. Santosham, J. Walkup (2006). “Home visiting intervention to improve child care among American Indian adolescent mothers” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine V160 (11): 1101-1107.
- Salmon, D.A., P.J. Smith, A.M. Navar, WK Pan, S.B. Omer, N.A. Halsey (2006). “Measuring immunization coverage among pre-school children: Past, present and future opportunities” Epi Reviews, 28: 27-40.
- Saito, M., WK Pan, R.H. Gilman, C.T. Bautista, S. Bamrahi, C.A. Martín, S.J. Tsiouris, F. Arguelles, G. Martinez. (2006). “Comparison of altitude effect on Mycobacterium tuberculosis” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. V75(1): 49-54.
- Conlisk, E, WK Pan, and S.K. Proescholdbell (2006). “Support for tobacco control policies among youth in North Carolina” NC Medical Journal. May/June, V67 (3):175-9
- Barbieri, A., R.E. Bilsborrow, and WK Pan (2005). “Farm household lifecycles and land use in the Ecuadorian Amazon” Population and Environment. 27 (1): 1-27.
- Pan, WK, D.L. Carr, and RE Bilsborrow (2005) Causes and consequences of farm fragmentation in Ecuador’s Amazon. In /Land Use and Rural Sustainability: Proceedings of Conference on Land Use and Rural Sustainability. /International Geographical Union (IGU) Commission on Land Use/Cover Change and Commission on Sustainability of Rural Systems. Aberdeen, Scotland. 10-14, 2004. Pp. 90-95.
- Pan, WK, and R.E. Bilsborrow (2005). “The use of a multilevel statistical model to analyze factors influencing land use: A study of the Ecuadorian Amazon.” Global and Planetary Change. 47 (2-4): 232-252.
- Bilsborrow, R.E., A. Barbieri, and WK Pan, (2004). “Changes in population and land use over time in the Ecuadorian Amazon.” Acta Amazonica, 34(4): 635-647.
- Pan, WK, S. Walsh, R.E. Bilsborrow, B. Frizzelle, C. Erlien, F. Baquero (2004). “Farm-level models of spatial patterns of land use and land cover dynamics in the Ecuadorian Amazon.” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 101 (2-3).
Water and Health
William Pan, Population, Health, and Environmental interactions, land use change