Research and Professional Interests
Thomas Quinn, MD is the founding director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Global Health and a founding member of the Academic Alliance for AIDS Care and Prevention in Africa. He is an advisor on HIV and STDs to the World Health Organization, Office of the Global AIDS Coordinator (PEPFAR), UNAIDS, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. He has been a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science since 2004.
His research encompasses epidemiology, pathogenesis, and clinical features of HIV/AIDS internationally, which includes the interaction between STDs and tropical diseases on the natural history and spread of HIV/AIDS in developing countries. His recent research has examined the viral kinetics and transmission probabilities of HIV among discordant couples with the subsequent design and application of interventions, including therapy to prevent transmission of HIV. Molecular studies have mapped the molecular epidemic of HIV on a global basis, linking virologic changes to the spread of HIV and measuring the demographic impact of the epidemic. He has contributed to implementation of clinical care programs for HIV, STDs, and other infectious diseases while advocating for improved clinical education for African physicians and implementing public health policy from these and other research findings.
- Newman RM, Lamers SL, Weiner B, Ray SC, Colgrove RC, Diaz F, Jing L, Wang K, Saif S, Young S, Henn M, Laeyendecker O, Tobian AA, Cohen JI, Koelle DM, Quinn TC, Knipe DM. "Genome Sequencing and Analysis of Geographically Diverse Clinical Isolates of Herpes Simplex Virus 2." J Virol. 2015 May 27. pii: JVI.01303-15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lamers SL, Newman R, Laeyendecker O, Tobian AA, Colgrove RC, Ray SC, Koelle DM, Cohen J, Knipe DM, Quinn TC. "Global Diversity Within and Between Human Herpes Virus 1 and 2 Glycoproteins." J Virol. 2015 May 27. pii: JVI.01302-15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tobian AA, Kigozi G, Manucci J, Grabowski MK, Serwadda D, Musoke R, Redd AD, Nalugoda F, Reynolds SJ, Kighoma N, Laeyendecker O, Lessler J, Gray RH, Quinn TC, Wawer MJ; Rakai Health Sciences Program. "HIV shedding from male circumcision wounds in HIV-infected men: a prospective cohort study." PLoS Med. 2015 Apr 28;12(4):e1001820. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001820. eCollection 2015 Apr.
- Solomon SS, Mehta SH, Srikrishnan AK, Solomon S, McFall AM, Laeyendecker O, Celentano DD, Iqbal SH, Anand S, Vasudevan CK, Saravanan S, Lucas GM, Kumar MS, Sulkowski MS, Quinn TC. "Burden of hepatitis C virus disease and access to hepatitis C virus services in people who inject drugs in India: a cross-sectional study." Lancet Infect Dis. 2015 Jan;15(1):36-45. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(14)71045-X. Epub 2014 Dec 3.
- Eller MA, Opollo MS, Liu M, Redd AD, Eller LA, Kityo C, Kayiwa J, Laeyendecker O, Wawer MJ, Milazzo M, Kiwanuka N, Gray RH, Serwadda D, Sewankambo NK, Quinn TC, Michael NL, Wabwire-Mangen F, Sandberg JK, Robb ML. "HIV Type 1 Disease Progression to AIDS and Death in a Rural Ugandan Cohort Is Primarily Dependent on Viral Load Despite Variable Subtype and T-Cell Immune Activation Levels." J Infect Dis. 2015 May 15;211(10):1574-84. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiu646. Epub 2014 Nov 17.
- Redd AD, Ssemwanga D, Vandepitte J, Wendel SK, Ndembi N, Bukenya J, Nakubulwa S, Grosskurth H, Parry CM, Martens C, Bruno D, Porcella SF, Quinn TC, Kaleebu P. "Rates of HIV-1 superinfection and primary HIV-1 infection are similar in female sex workers in Uganda." AIDS. 2014 Sep 10;28(14):2147-52. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000000365.
- Grabowski MK, Lessler J, Redd AD, Kagaayi J, Laeyendecker O, Ndyanabo A, Nelson MI, Cummings DA, Bwanika JB, Mueller AC, Reynolds SJ, Munshaw S, Ray SC, Lutalo T, Manucci J, Tobian AA, Chang LW, Beyrer C, Jennings JM, Nalugoda F, Serwadda D, Wawer MJ, Quinn TC, Gray RH; Rakai Health Sciences Program. "The role of viral introductions in sustaining community-based HIV epidemics in rural Uganda: evidence from spatial clustering, phylogenetics, and egocentric transmission models." PLoS Med. 2014 Mar 4;11(3):e1001610. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001610.
- Longosz, Andrew F., Charles S. Morrison, Pai-Lien Chen, Eric Arts, Immaculate Nankya, Robert A. Salata, Veronica Franco, Thomas C. Quinn, Susan H. Eshleman, and Oliver Laeyendecker. "Immune Responses in Ugandan Women Infected With Subtypes A and D HIV Using the BED Capture Immunoassay and an Antibody Avidity Assay." JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 65, no. 4 (2014): 390-396. http://journals.lww.com/jaids/Abstract/2014/04010/Immune_Responses_in_Ugandan_Women_Infected_With.2.aspx
- Sacktor, Ned, Noeline Nakasujja, Andrew D. Redd, Jordyn Manucci, Oliver Laeyendecker, Sarah K. Wendel, Stephen F. Porcella et al. "HIV subtype is not associated with dementia among individuals with moderate and advanced immunosuppression in Kampala, Uganda." Metabolic brain disease 29, no. 2 (2014): 261-268. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11011-014-9498-3
- Tobian, Aaron AR, Seema Kacker, and Thomas C. Quinn. "Male circumcision: a globally relevant but under-utilized method for the prevention of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections." Annual review of medicine 65 (2014): 293-306. http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-med-092412-090539
- Patel, Eshan U., Melanie A. Frank, Yu-Hsiang Hsieh, Richard E. Rothman, Amy EO Baker, Chadd K. Kraus, Judy Shahan et al. "Prevalence and Factors Associated with Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Infection in Patients Attending a Baltimore City Emergency Department." PloS one 9, no. 7 (2014): e102422. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0102422
- Konikoff, Jacob, Ron Brookmeyer, Andrew F. Longosz, Matthew M. Cousins, Connie Celum, Susan P. Buchbinder, George R. Seage III et al. "Performance of a limiting-antigen avidity enzyme immunoassay for cross-sectional estimation of HIV incidence in the United States." PloS one 8, no. 12 (2013): e82772. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0082772
- Chang, Larry W., David Serwadda, Thomas C. Quinn, Maria J. Wawer, Ronald H. Gray, and Steven J. Reynolds. "Combination implementation for HIV prevention: moving from clinical trial evidence to population-level effects." The Lancet infectious diseases 13, no. 1 (2013): 65-76. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1473309912702736
Thomas Quinn, Steering Committee, Center for Global Health