Research and Professional Interests
Tak Igusa is the founding Director for Education and Research of the Johns Hopkins Systems Institute. He received an A.B. in Applied Mathematics at Harvard and a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering at Berkeley and was on the faculty at Northwestern University before returning to Baltimore in 1999 as a professor at Johns Hopkins. His research interests are in the application of mathematical modeling to understanding systems in public health, civil infrastructure, and medicine. His interests also include structural dynamics, acoustics, and applications of statistics and probability theory to problems in civil and mechanical engineering, and more recently in atmospheric science.
- Gittelsohn J, Mui Y, Adam A, Lin S, Kharmats A, Igusa T, Lee BY. (2015) Incorporating Systems Science Principles into the Development of Obesity Prevention Interventions: Principles, Benefits, and Challenges. Curr Obes Rep. 4(2):174-181
- Lyon AR, Maras MA, Pate CM, Igusa T, Vander Stoep A. (2015) Modeling the Impact of School-Based Universal Depression Screening on Additional Service Capacity Needs: A System Dynamics Approach. Adm Policy Ment Health. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wang Y, Xue H, Chen HJ, Igusa T. (2014) Examining social norm impacts on obesity and eating behaviors among US school children based on agent-based model. BMC Public Health. 14:923. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-923.
- Dugas, A.F., Jalalpour, M., Gel, Y., Levin, S., Torcaso, F., Igusa, T., Rothman, R.E. (2013). Influenza Forecasting with Google Flu Trends. Plos One. 8(2).
- Jalalpour, M., Guest, J.K., Igusa, T. (2013). Reliability-based topology optimization of trusses with stochastic stiffness. Structural Safety. 43. 41-49
- Khakpour, H.R., Igusa, T., Shen, L. (2012). Coherent vortical structures responsible for strong flux of scalar at free surface. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 55(19-20). 5157-5170.
- Jalalpour, M., Igusa, T., Guest, J.K. (2011). Optimal design of trusses with geometric imperfections: Accounting for global instability. International Journal of Solids and Structures. 48(21). 3011-3019.
- Wang, Y.F., Xue, H., Chen, H.J., Igusa, T. (2011). Systems Analysis of the Complex Obesity Etiology and Trends. Faseb Journal. 25.
Takeru Igusa, mathematical modeling, structural dynamics