Research and Professional Interests
Kai Loon Chen is an assistant professor in the Department of Geography and Environmental Engineering (DoGEE) at Johns Hopkins University. Kai Loon completed his BEng and MEng degrees in Civil Engineering at the National University of Singapore in 2001 and 2003, respectively. He joined the Environmental Engineering Program at Yale University in 2003 and completed his PhD in 2008. Kai Loon’s current research interests include understanding the fate and transport of engineered nanoparticles in natural and engineered aquatic systems and the use of nanotechnology for water purification applications. In 2012, Kai Loon was presented the Excellence in Review Award 2012 by Environmental Science and Technology.
- Yi, P., Chen, K.L. (2013). Interaction of multiwalled carbon nanotubes with supported lipid bilayers and vesicles as model biological membranes.. Environmental science & technology. 47(11). 5711-9.
- Yi, P., Chen, K.L. (2013). Influence of Solution Chemistry on the Release of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes from Silica Surfaces. Environmental Science & Technology. 47(21). 12211-12218.
- Tang, L., Gu, W., Yi, P., Bitter, J.L., Hong, J.Y., Fairbrother, D.H., Chen, K.L. (2013). Bacterial anti-adhesive properties of polysulfone membranes modified with polyelectrolyte multilayers. Journal of Membrane Science. 446. 201-211.
- Khanh An Huynh, ., Mccaffery, J.M., Chen, K.L. (2012). Heteroaggregation of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes and Hematite Nanoparticles: Rates and Mechanisms. Environmental Science & Technology. 46(11). 5912-5920.
- Yi, P., Chen, K.L. (2011). Influence of Surface Oxidation on the Aggregation and Deposition Kinetics of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes in Monovalent and Divalent Electrolytes. Langmuir. 27(7). 3588-3599.
- Petersen, E.J., Zhang, L., Mattison, N.T., O'carroll, D.M., Whelton, A.J., Uddin, N., Tinh Nguyen, ., Huang, Q., Henry, T.B., Holbrook, R.D., Chen, K.L. (2011). Potential Release Pathways, Environmental Fate, And Ecological Risks of Carbon Nanotubes. Environmental Science & Technology. 45(23). 9837-9856.
- Huynh, K.A., Chen, K.L. (2011). Aggregation Kinetics of Citrate and Polyvinylpyrrolidone Coated Silver Nanoparticles in Monovalent and Divalent Electrolyte Solutions. Environmental Science & Technology. 45(13). 5564-5571.
- Ang, W.S., Tiraferri, A., Chen, K.L., Elimelech, M. (2011). Fouling and cleaning of RO membranes fouled by mixtures of organic foulants simulating wastewater effluent. Journal of Membrane Science. 376(1-2). 196-206.
dynamic and static light scattering, quartz crystal microbalance with dissipation monitoring, electrophoretic mobility analyzer, direct-observation membrane filtration system
Water and Health
Water in the Environment
NSF IGERT Participant
Kai Loon Chen, environmental engineering