Research and Professional Interests
Frank Curriero's research focuses on the development and application of spatial statistical methodology in the environmental health sciences. A substantial component of his research includes the utility of a geographic information system (GIS). Together, these tools and methods are useful in evaluating spatial relationships and quantifying geographic determinants of health. The environment in specific projects has ranged to include the social and behavioral environment, soil, water, and air environment with varying focus on health outcomes related to cancer, infectious/chronic disease, and mortality.
- Casey, J. A., Shopsin, B., Cosgrove, S. E., Nachman, K. E., Curriero, F. C., Rose, H. R., & Schwartz, B. S. High-density livestock production and molecularly characterized MRSA infections in Pennsylvania. Environmental health perspectives. 2014;122(5):464. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4014753/
- Feingold, B. J., Kluytmans, J. A., van Cleef, B. A., Curriero, F. C., & Silbergeld, E. K. Livestock Density as Risk Factor for Livestock-associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus, the Netherlands. Emerging infectious diseases. 2013;19(9):1552. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3166010/
- Casey, J. A., Curriero, F. C., Cosgrove, S. E., Nachman, K. E., & Schwartz, B. S. (2013). High-density livestock operations, crop field application of manure, and risk of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in Pennsylvania. JAMA internal medicine. 2013;173(21):1980-1990. http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleID=1738717&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=feed_posts
- Salje, H., Lessler, J., Endy, T. P., Curriero, F. C., Gibbons, R. V., Nisalak, A., ... & Cummings, D. A. Revealing the microscale spatial signature of dengue transmission and immunity in an urban population. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2012;109(24):9535-9538. http://www.pnas.org/content/109/24/9535.short
- Curriero FC, Klassen AC, Boscoe FP, Kulldorff M: Using Imputation to Provide Location Information for Nongeocoded Addresses. Public Library of Science, PLoS One, 2010;5:1-10. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0008998#pone-0008998-g002
- Murphy RR, Curriero FC, Ball WP: Comparison of Spatial Interpolation Methods for Water Quality Evaluation in the Chesapeake Bay. Journal of Environmental Engineering. 2010;136:160-171. http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0000121
North America: U.S.
Conceptual Modeling, Quantitative Modeling, Statistical Analysis, Social Science, Field Research
Water and Health
Water in the Environment
Water and Agriculture
NSF IGERT Participant
Frank Curriero, spatial statistical methodology