Research and Professional Interests
Christian Coles’s research focuses on the reduction of morbidity and mortality in underserved pediatric populations worldwide. Epidemiology and biostatistics are applied to facilitate the development of effective disease prevention and control strategies for pediatric infectious diseases. His research scope includes the following areas: (1) respiratory infections, (2) the interaction between micronutrient status, infection and immunity, (3) nutritional interventions, (4) nutritional immunology, (5) nutrient regulation of host-pathogen interactions, (6) antimicrobial resistance, and (7) vaccines.
- Lee AC, Katz J, Blencowe H, Cousens S, Kozuki N, Vogel JP, Adair L, Baqui AH, Bhutta ZA, Caulfield LE, Christian P, Clarke SE, Ezzati M, Fawzi W, Gonzalez R, Huybregts L, Kariuki S, Kolsteren P, Lusingu J, Marchant T, Merialdi M, Mongkolchati A, Mullany LC, Ndirangu J, Newell ML, Nien JK, Osrin D, Roberfroid D, Rosen HE, Sania A, Silveira MF, Tielsch J, Vaidya A, Willey BA, Lawn JE, Black RE. "National and regional estimates of term and preterm babies born small for gestational age in 138 low-income and middle-income countries in 2010." Lancet Glob Health. 2013 Jul;1(1):e26-36. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(13)70006-8.
Seidman JC, Coles CL, Silbergeld EK, Levens J, Mkocha H, Johnson LB, Muñoz B, West SK. "Increased carriage of macrolide-resistant fecal E. coli following mass distribution of azithromycin for trachoma control." Int J Epidemiol. 2014 Aug;43(4):1105-13. doi: 10.1093/ije/dyu062. Epub 2014 Mar 21.
- Katz J, Wu L, Mullany LC, Lee ACC, Coles C, Kozuki N, Tielsch JM. Prevalence of small-for-gestational-age and its mortality risk varies by choice of birthweight-for-gestation reference population. PLOS One 2014 Mar 18;9(3):e92074.
- Coles CL, Mabula K, Levens J, Seidman JC, Mkocha H, Munoz H, Mfinanga SG, West S. Mass distribution of azithromycin for trachoma control is associated with increased risk of azithromycin-resistant S. pneumoniae carriage in young children 6 months after treatment. Clin Inf Dis 2013 June; 56(11):1519-26.
- Coles CL, Rahmathullah L, Kanungo R, Katz J, Sandiford D, Devi S, Thulasiraj RD, Tielsch JM. Pneumococcal carriage at age 2 months is associated with growth deficits at age 6 months among infants in South India. J Nutr. 2012 June;142(6):1088-94.
- Ramakrishnan A, Althoff KN, Lopez JA, Coles CL, Bream JH. Differential Serum Cytokine Responses to Inactivated and Live Attenuated Seasonal Influenza Vaccines. Cytokine 2012 Sep 15.
- Coles CL. Zinc does not appear to have significant benefit in treatment of pneumonia. J Pediatr. 2012 Sep;161(3):568. PMID: 22916980.
East Africa: Ethiopia, Kenya; North Africa: Egypt; Middle East: Syria, Turkey; East Asia & the Pacific: Cambodia; Latin America: Peru; North America: United States
Water and Health
Christian Coles, international health, pediatric infectious diseases